Friday, November 17, 2017

No Horse November

A Horse Blog Without a Horse...

Here's the thing.  I LOVE horses and I will ALWAYS live the "horse life."  But I must admit that I am thoroughly enjoying these weeks of being horseless.  I know a day will come when I start to feel the itch of wanting my own horse again, but for now, I am enjoying it.

Oh, and I had a photographer friend come take a few photos before Congress, just so I had something to remember the good times...

Evan Zimmerman Photography

Top Five Reasons Being Horseless is Awesome:

5. MONEY: Imagine all the $$$ that goes to your horse each month suddenly going into your pocket. No vet bills, no boar, no farrier, no chiropractor, no supplements, no replacing broken equipment. I didn't even buy ANYTHING at Congress, it was weird, but also good.


4. RESPONSIBILITY: No one is going to call me at 9pm to tell me my horse is colicking/bleeding/loose.  I don't have to be responsible for a 1000lb bag of trouble.  I don't have to check the temperature constantly to find out if I have to change blankets. I don't have to treat cuts or ice legs.


3. CHOICES: It's friggin cold already and I can stay in the warm house instead of the cold barn.  I don't HAVE to go ride.  I can choose to ride as often or infrequently as I want without the guilt of neglecting or over-working a horse. 


2. TIME: Especially leading up to Congress I was at the barn almost every single day for weeks and weeks.  Now I have at least 3 hours/day extra to do things like put dishes away and shop for a new washer and dryer or


1. HEARTBREAK:  Horses have broken my heart.  It's nearly 4 years since I lost Junior and I still miss him madly.  I still catch myself wishing I could just have him back.  Huck was supposed to be the next great one, and he just wasn't.  He broke me financially, emotionally, and physically.  I'm going to take my time in recuperating. 


We'll see how long this lasts before being broke and busy is "worth it" again. 

I've ridden once since I stepped off of Huck at the Congress.  I took Kevin for a little ride last weekend while hanging out with friends.  It was nice, but I'm still happy about my horseless situation.

I admit that I am happily distracted at the moment so I'm sure that is helping me be "okay" with horselessness.  The first weekend of Nov. I moved into a house with my BF.  Without the horse I finally feel like I have the ability to do some much overdue "adulting" like buying new oven mitts and window treatments and purging excess stuff. Lemme tell you, living in one place for 10 years with THREE walk-in closets kind of makes you a hoarder.  I don't know how many times I thought "WHY do I have this?" while packing for the move. 

And soon it's the Holidays, I need to finish up my Sabbatical projects, and get ready for school to start back up in January.  Plus I'm designing the costumes for our big spring musical, so there will be plenty of distractions until Spring.  I mean... I did put the summer horse
show dates into my calendar just in case...


5 comments:

  1. One of the best decisions I ever made was taking the time I needed after my first horse died. I still rode and did a small lease on one of my trainer's horses, but not having the responsibility weighing on me was really what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Time. I do have plans to start riding more in the spring but definitely not buying a horse for at least a year, maybe two. I know you're going through this right now, too!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes, I think the only thing I'll miss about horses if they go out of my life is the exercise I get from being around them (not even riding). I get the itch for another horse (sound, young, etc.) from time to time, but I'm honestly happy with my two being retired in the back yard for now. Riding your own horse requires so much time, money, and ENERGY, which I really just don't have these days. I'm glad you're enjoying the break while it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was horseless for about 9 months, by the end of it I was feeling a bit batty but damn my bank account never looked better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huck was draining. Take your time and enjoy it! I'm still amazed at who his new owner is! So, you're both in a better place now.

    ReplyDelete