Friday, January 29, 2010

Showmanship update.


Junior is doing so well with the showmanship I am shopping for a show halter! I would really, really like a beautiful heirloom quality vintage sterling silver halter, but I'm not going to try that out of the gate. Great way to look like a newb! Instead I'm looking at getting a nice new halter for now, and I can continue to hunt for the diamond in the rough. I lost an ebay auction by a dollar last week :( on a lovely halter, but I would have had to find a lead to match and probably go as far as having to re-dye one piece or both. I've done leather dying before, but for stage and NOT for something as close-up as a showmanship class. Showmanship is a class that's all about details and having mismatched leather or a bent buckle makes the presentation look sloppy. The judge is so close you have to be very detail oriented, much more than under saddle. A vintage halter might say "I have no idea what I'm doing here!" instead of "Look at this beautiful piece of Western Americana!" So I'm spending a bit more than I originally intended to get a new quality halter. I'm not going super high-end, but I'm going to the upper middle class, so to speak. I tend to not like two-tone, but I find this one very attractive. What do you think?


Our lesson on Wednesday was great. I (we both) got really frustrated at one point, but by the end we had executed a pretty decent beginner pattern. We made huge strides on pivots and backing, including 360's and 90's, so he's getting not just a 180, but to begin the pivot and end the pivot when and where I ask him to. Our backing is straighter, but still needs work. The biggest thing that is going to be tough to get through is his tendency to anticipate. His willingness to please sometimes gets in the way. For instance, now that we're learning that when I move into his neck he begins a pivot, when I lead him to the mounting block, and then turn to walk to the saddle he moves away. He started doing this when I began teaching him to back, so I know that if I am consistent and patient he will understand the differences in body language. I'm also trying to only put the chain under his chin when we're doing showmanship to try to associate the movements of showmanship with the tack configuration...... I'm assuming, of course, that he can do advanced cognitive reasoning.... THIS ARTICLE is a great introduction to how horses learn. A lot of teaching showmanship is a form of Operant Associative Learning. In other words, we make the right thing easy and the wrong thing hard. If when I step into you you do not move away, I will tap you on the shoulder with my lead. I worked with a jerk of a jumper-guy when I took the gym class horseback riding while I was in grad school. (That could be a whole blog entry by itself.) He, just like every horse person in my life, taught me something useful. He taught me "Ask, Tell, Make." Ask the horse to do it. If he doesn't do it, TELL him to do it, and if he still doesn't do it, MAKE him. The goal is that the horse learns to do it when you ask him. Life is simply easier that way. Luckily my pony is inherently eager to please. I usually only have to growl at him to let him know he needs to stop doing whatever it is he's doing, which is a good thing because I am constantly aware that I cannot physically MAKE an 1100 lb animal do anything he doesn't want to do, I can just sort of annoy him into compliance! LOL!

8 comments:

  1. For about a year or so when I was first learning showmanship, I had a nice older solid leather halter with chain and lead that I used for showmanship. It cleaned up very well, was very functional, and most importantly fit my horse well and presented him well. While it didnt have silver, it was better than buying a cheaper silver one that didnt fit as well. I got compliments on it actually because of its nice fit and durability. So I guess if you dont find your perfect one yet, you can always settle with one that simply fits well and is functional. Thats more important than silver.

    Sounds like youre having a lot of fun in showmanship! Im glad for you and Junior!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny is it that that's the halter I want to get?! :) I've had my eye on that baby for months! I have a show halter already, but it is SO old and it's hard to keep the silver shined up these days.

    Investing in a good quality show halter is a great idea. When taken care of, they can last years. I got mine the second year I showed my QH gelding, and that was back in 1996... I'm still using it today!

    I'm so glad you two are making progress! Just wait till you can do a pattern without a halter or lead rope. It's so cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful. I love this stuff and I certainly don't have showmanship in my future. It's just so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, in2paints, it is on sale....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really?? What site are you looking on? It might be time to make it mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. in2paints - it's at Schneiders: www.sstack.com item #19195 The lead is not included. It may just always be on sale. Where are you looking at it? I guess I though these were made just for Schneiders...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Schneider's is definitely the cheapest... I was watching one in an eBay store that carries them, but it was over $230. There were a couple other sites too where they were also pricey (Kathy's Show Tack, Carousel Horse Tack), but now I might have to order one from Schneider's! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! Showmanship was always one of my favorite classes and it's awesome that Junior is picking it up so quickly. Sounds like he might be a natural. Keep us posted! Can't wait to hear the progress. Oh, and I LOVE the halter. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete