Today was the monthly obstacle training and trail ride event at my barn. My BO is one of the trainers and one of the mounted sheriff/police guys is usually the other trainer but he couldn't be there today. Junior isn't afraid of "stuff" but it is always good to build trust with "no really, you can do this, it won't hurt you....see?" kind of activities and I wanted to go on the trails with the BO so she could help us negotiate the creeks. For the obstacles he was a champ with everything. He knocked over the jump we tried to walk over but that was a lack of coordination, not confidence! He even served as the leader pony for some of the other less confident horses many times. He had walked under the streamer trellis and over the bridge before but we also got to do lots of new stuff.
So today for the first time we:
- Attempted to rope the plastic steer head...my roping skills leave a lot to be desired but he did not mind the activity...
- Opened, went through, and closed the rope gate
- Went through the shredded tarp curtain
- Went through and backed through the aisle with the pool noodles sticking into the middle (maybe I should have taken pictures!)
- stuck our front feet into and walked through a truck tire
- went over and backed over a big flat wooden circle
- kept one end of a board on a barrel while holding the other end and walking around the barrel in a circle
- dragged a pole by a rope forwards and backwards
- AND PLAYED WITH BALLS!!!