Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Chilly Lesson

I certainly do not enjoy riding in 4 degree weather, but I DO love my horse.

He was a bit of a pill while I was trying to lunge him and KAT said he was a brat when she rode him yesterday, but once I got on him he was really, REALLY good! Still working on consistency with his frame but he's really using his hindquarters and reaching under himself so when he's in frame he's packing REALLY well. Our lope is still not so great, but it's improving. We worked on loping in a circle to the right. As soon as he gets it right he starts to quit, which is a little frustrating, but he gets back into it quickly. I'm pretty sure I need to switch to western style spurs now. He needs lots of encouragement from my outside leg and with my POW spurs I have to crank my ankle up and toes out to meet him. Those shanked spurs would help a lot. He was really well balanced at the jog and I spent about half the lesson one-handed. We did a serpentine and he was working off my legs nicely. When we were walking out at the end I dropped my hand to his withers and started turning him around with just my legs. I even got him to side-pass that way! What a good boy!

The scratch on his forearm looks fine and I put some more ointment on it.

I think I found a western show saddle, but I'll go look at it this weekend and let you know! My show is up and running so I should have a bit more time to ride now.

It's supposed to be in the 40's Friday through Thursday and I am SOOOO looking forward to all this ice melting.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you about the weather, Werther is getting so bored in the indoor, he fake spooks to entertain himself, and we at least have another six weeks indoors. Good luck with the saddle shopping, I am waiting for my aunt to send me her really nice saddle. I hope it fits!

    Ellie and Werther Blog

    ReplyDelete