Saturday, September 26, 2009

Fungus Among Us

Last evening I went out to the barn for the season kick-off pizza party for the club I take lessons with. I put the boy out in the mud lot while we ate since he hadn't been out that day. It was sprinkling a little but he didn't seem to mind. I brought him in to groom and tack up and when I was brushing him and got to his back legs I could feel small bumps all over his gaskins and a little on his underbelly. They were NOT there on Wednesday. Being the overanxious one that I am I panicked momentarily and asked KAT to look at him. I thought maybe it was bug bites since he probably hadn't been fly sprayed since his bath before the show last weekend. KAT felt it and pronounced it a very slight case of fungus. Yummy. We discussed treatment options and my best barn mate handed me some betadine scrub. I didn't do it last night, mostly because I didn't have a disposable sponge with me or any towels and didn't want him to get a chill sitting damp all night. I brought all his brushes home and washed and bleached them. Since the area is isolated to the legs KAT said I don't have to worry about his pads right now.

Of course today it's raining today so my hopes of washing his fungus off and letting him enjoy some turn-out while he dries is not going to happen, but I don't want to wait until tomorrow to get it scrubbed.

I would really like to procrastinate work even more by editing the video from the show, but I am forcing myself not to do that. I have a conference presentation a week from today and another work project I'm a bit behind on, so I need to do those things before I can crack open the imovie....probably in November. *Sigh*

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I've had good luck with Listerine, and also with EqySS shampoo and spray. Mine tend to get it on their faces or their lower legs, for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one with sensitive skin and rainrot aka fungus gone wild, and I use baby oil. It smothers the fungus, leave it on a day or so, wash & repeat as needed. Don't pick the little spots. It is painful to the horse and when you apply anything over it, it will sting, not much but it's best to let it die and fall from grooming or on it's own. Just our experience with skin problems and might not even be the same thing with yours but baby oil is cheap.

    ReplyDelete