Monday, March 15, 2010

The Unappreciated Irony of The Day

So do you know the play Equus? (You may have heard about it as the play Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) was naked in... but that's not the point of the story.) The play revolves around a boy who blinds 6 horses with a metal spike in the middle of the night.

The irony?

I got to have my very first vet call today.... for an eye problem. Duh Duh Dun! He's fine, but eyeballs are not anything I want to take a gamble on so I called the vet. He has a small superficial scratch on his cornea and will need to have some goop in his eye for 5 days and banamine for two days, or at least until he's looked at again on Wednesday. I'm pulling him out of lessons for now and keeping him in from turnout. The vet said he could go in turnout, but Charlie has been climbing all over him and it is SOOOO muddy that I would feel better if he stayed inside. He'll be cranky but it's only temporary. KAT will be put some goop in him in the morning and I'll be out tomorrow evening for more goop and banamine.

In true Overanxious Horse Owner fashion I was completely freaking out when I called KAT over to look at it, but I survived and it seems he's going to be fine, as long as it heals with no complications. They sedated him to get a good look at the eye and I have never seen a sedated horse before. He was so cute and a very good patient. I'm sorry there are no pictures, but I didn't have the camera with me and there really wasn't an opportune moment.

I'll update when there's something interesting.... and hopefully the bill doesn't make me throw up. :)

3 comments:

  1. When I was a kid my horse scratched her eye twice. She was kind of a klutz. We had many go rounds with the goop. Hope Jr. heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! I hope he's gets better soon, that really sucks. I too get really freaked out by horse health problems. I call the vet for pretty much every little thing.

    Lexa
    http://trainer-in-training.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did someone say vet bill? You mean other people have to pay them too? LOL

    I'm with you, in that eyes are nothing to mess around with! I hope Junior's eye heals up quickly!

    ReplyDelete