Monday, June 7, 2010

No longer AWOL.

Though I wouldn't want to flatter myself by suggesting anyone actually noticed I had a lapse of more than 10 days since my last post, but just incase you were anxiously awaiting something: I'm sorry. I was without a home computer for a whole week for the first time in many many years. My new MacBook Pro is here and I'm back online. I also have a video camera on my screen so I might even attempt some vlog posts, but don't hold your breath!

In horsey news, Junior is being used for far fewer lessons than he had been and though I still hear that he is a bit uncooperative during grooming and tacking, he hasn't done anything major that I know of. It seems we're both counting the days (18) until we move to the new place. I'm heading out there on Wednesday evening for a pot luck, hopefully I'll get to meet some of the other boarders.

My post-surgery toe is getting much better. I have been riding without pain (only Western so far) and can wear my old Ariat lacers, my Sketchers and any sandals. Haven't tried my show boots yet, but they weren't painful before so I doubt they'll be painful now. Still not into my Converse shoes yet which is a bit of a downer.

My lower back is not doing great. I took too much time off of riding right after the surgery so my muscles got weak. It's not debilitating, just annoying, and if I didn't have a vet bill on the way for my clumsy horse's eye I'd get myself a massage! Darn pony.

Right now I'm trying to get us back into work. We have a show in less than two weeks and it might be our last one of the season so I'm going to try to make it count. Still trying to secure a show-mom for the day. That'll really help. I might be able to show later in the summer but I'll have to wait and see about scheduling and trailering.

10 comments:

  1. I noticed! :)

    I'm sorry to hear about all your physical woes... hopefully you're all better soon!

    Last show of the season? Is it because you won't have a trailer? Hopefully you can find someone to haul with so you can keep showing Junior.

    I'm so excited for you regarding the move, and a pot luck seems like a fun way to meet all the boarders. You'll know them before you arrive... I might have to suggest that to my new BO. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's because I don't have a trailer, and if I did it would kill my Honda Civic. The BO will haul to shows, but who knows if the shows I want to go to will be on weekends she's not already committed. She only has a 2 horse trailer and there are others that she takes to shows, too. I get the impression that most of the shows they go to are hunter/jumper shows and they tend to be more expensive than the open shows I like to go to. I will be able to show at some point, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much because there's a chance it won't happen right away. I only did 3 shows last year so only doing two this year isn't a big deal. I'm looking forward to all the other fun things this place has to offer in the mean time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're feeling a bit better. Could his discomfort during grooming/tacking be an ulcer issue - easy to check out with Maalox. Hope the move goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww sweetie. It makes me so sad to hear about all of your ailments! I hope you get better soon!

    Wow that new stable seems very hospitable. I've never been to a place like that where I know no one and they're all welcoming...says something about Illinois, don't you think? haha.

    I hope that Junior keeps his manners that way you can leave without any grudges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! And I saw your trailer woes. Try looking into Brenderup Trailers. They're very lightweight, designed in Europe to be pulled by those tiny volvos. We have one and although it's quite a sum of money, you never see one going on ebay for much less than buying price which is good for resale and they last FOREVER. Very good investment to make if you're good at saving up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've been over ulcers before. He doesn't show ANY of the other symptoms of ulcers and he doesn't show the same behavior with me or with KAT so we do not think that's a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you get back into your shoes soon. It sucks when a silly little toe can cause so much pain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I just started reading your blog from the beginning, and let me just say, I LOVE it. You put humor into your posts, and so I can't help but want more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hang in there, my dear. You've always been tough as nails and I know you will recoup from this. Hopefully Junior will as well. I'm always shocked at the vet bills for our pooches, so I can't even fathom how much a horse visit would set you back!!!

    Lots of love and peaceful things, B.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I get the impression that most of the shows they go to are hunter/jumper shows and they tend to be more expensive than the open shows .
    PPC Advertising India

    ReplyDelete