Saturday, November 23, 2013

Recovering

It has been over two weeks since Junior's colic surgery.  Kind of still feels like it's not real.  Also kinda feels entirely too real sometimes.  I've always been crazy about this horse, but I didn't know how much until there was a real possibility that I would lose him. But enough about that.  That's the "too real" part. 

We still have to watch for signs of hernia and infection and colic and my anxiety levels... ha ha! But he's been doing very very well.  

We brought him home on Tuesday 11/12. He spent the first few days on free-choice hay with daily walks.  We started him slowly back on grain last week and on Thursday 11/21 Junior got his staples out.

We will be hand-walking only until December 7th, when he can be turned out in a small paddock, but will still need to take it easy.  So far he's been quite mellow, but I'm sure as he continues to feel better he'll get tired of the stall rest and get crankier about it.  He did get all snorty-nerves over a pile of rails and cones in a freshly drug arena and I was worried he'd actually spook at it, but eventually he forgot it was scary and then nosed-over the cones like he was looking for treats.  

For now we enjoy grooming and walks in the arena...

and aisle visits with his best bro-friend....
and just being glad to be home.  :)

8 comments:

  1. Glad he's doing so well so far - that's a very good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad he's on the road to recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very happy to see those pictures! Much better then the last bunch. I love the aisle visits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad he's home, happy, and recovering well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad he's on the mend! I hope the healing goes flawlessly and your anxiety reduces.

    ReplyDelete