Thursday, November 20, 2008

Showoff.

I just love the end of the quarter when I get to sneak away from work and ride during the daylight!

His ground manners were not up to par today. He's been bobbing his head around when I try to bridle him. I'm not really sure what to do about that. I'm warming the bit up and everything! I think he's just telling me he's not interested in working. Should I just keep after him until he makes the realization that his fussing does not prevent work and hope he gets over it?

He lunged really well until KAT brought another horse into the ring and it was like he wanted to show off for her (or the filly she was riding) and he started fussing and stopping and backing away from me, but it really only lasted a moment. Then I made him walk and stop tight circles around me until he was listening and then got him back up to a normal circle at the jog. He was fine then.

The ride was pretty good. Just more of the same. I'm trying to be consistent and remember all the things from my lessons. I'm getting better at feeling what he's doing underneath me....I think. But it seems each lesson she tells me something new to do. I'm totally on board with the philosophy that you start at the basics and once you master those you move on, and then you move on, and then you move on. I just hate it when I feel like I'm starting to get it and then there's something new to try to figure out. Oh well. I know we've got a long way to go and there are many, many new steps ahead.

I'm loving my fleece-lined jeans and my Mountain Horse boots. I sure hate winter, but when you're dressed well it's not that bad. Sadly, though, it will get much, much colder in the next few months. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment